Friday, April 17, 2009

freezer cooking recipes-faves

how has it already been a month? well, I've been too busy playing with my baby girl to post, I guess.:)

so I wanted to post a few of my FAVORITE freezer cooking recipes. I honestly take no credit for any of them, since I didn't make them up or anything. I'll tell you who/where I got them from.:)

so I'll just give you a favorite breakfast, dinner, and dessert.:)

breakfast

I went to a thanksgiving point cooking class a couple years ago. I bought her cookbook (her name is jenny stanger) and she had a recipe for breakfast burritos--I've tweaked it a little. we love them and keep them in our freezer.

you need:
tortillas (I like the costco ones you cook, but any work)
eggs (8)
shredded cheese (1 1/2 cups--I use cheddar)
salsa (about 3/4 cup)
4-8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
salt and pepper to taste

1. cook bacon however you like to--then crumble
2. cook eggs, and then add cheese, salsa, and salt and pepper.
3. add crumbled bacon
4. put some of the mixture in each tortilla.
5. wrap tortillas and place on wax papered cookie sheet seam-side down
6. stick in freezer until frozen
7. put in freezer bag

when you want to eat one, I heat 'em up for 2 minutes at 60% power.
YUM.

dinner

I got this recipe from my cute friend, veronica. we were roommates at byu. I've also tweaked this recipe a little.

chicken enchiladas

you need:
tortillas
chicken, cooked and cubed (maybe 2 chicken breasts?)
big can of cream of chicken soup
sour cream (I eye-ball this, but I'm guessing a small container)
2 cups shredded cheese
1 4 oz. can green chilies
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped

1. cook chicken--then cube, shred, cut...whatever.:)
2. mix together soup, sour cream, cheese, and green chilies
3. cook green pepper and onion in olive oil (just until barely cooked--still crunchy)
4. add green pepper, onion, and chicken to your mixture
5. stuff tortillas with mixture (leave a little for the top!)
6. spread remaining mixture on top and sprinkle some cheese on top

now, there are 2 ways to do this! I like to cook it first and then freeze it, but it's good too if you freeze it before and then cook it for the first time after being frozen. I like to make this in a throw-away foil pan and wrap it lots of times in saran wrap. it's up to you. I've also just stuffed it (pre-cooked) in a freezer ziploc. anyway! if you bake it first, cook it at 375 for 30-45 minutes. when you heat it up, let it defrost and bake it for about 30 minutes at 350. if you freeze it first and then bake, let it defrost and then cook it at 375 for 30-45 minutes (you might need a little longer).

dessert

mmm! desserts freeze great. because there are only 2 of us (that eat real food), we end up with lots of leftovers. here's a recipe we think is awesome frozen! when you take it out of the freezer, it's pretty darn good cold or completely defrosted.:) I got this recipe from according-to-kelly.com (just copied and pasted)

ingredients:
2 sticks melted butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 bag of chocolate chips
1 jar of caramel topping (think smucker's)

1. preheat oven to 325 degrees, & grease a 9x13" baking pan.
2. combine the brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, baking soda & salt. add melted butter & mix until "crumbly".
3. press HALF of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, & bake for about 15 minutes.
4. remove from oven & spread the ENTIRE bottle of caramel topping on top, followed by the the ENTIRE bag of chocolate chips, & then finally sprinkle the remaining prepared dough mixture over the top.
5. continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or so, until it's a light golden brown.
6. once you've removed the caramel bars from the oven you need to let them cool & chill until the chocolate is set.... then it's time to cut them & start feasting.

to freeze, just bag the squares you want to save. I like to put about 6 in a bag and pull them out for a treat. they're SO good.:)

enjoy cooking and freezing!:)

caramel crack

1 comment:

  1. I love freezing!! These recipes are good. I've tried the enchilada recipe before, but I've never tried to freeze it beforehand.

    ReplyDelete