Sunday, February 15, 2009

sweet. tooth.

I don't know that I always had one. but boy do I now. here are some recipes I'm dying to try. btw, it is such a bummer to run out of flour.

cupcakes (black & white)

Preheat oven to 350
line muffin tins with cups and spray with non stick cooking spray.

Sift together the following ingredients and set aside.

1 c cake flour
1 c + 1 T all purpose flour
2/3 c cocoa
1 t baking soda
1/2 t kosher salt

In a large mixing bowl cream together

2 eggs
1 c brown sugar
1 c sugar

In another bowl combine

1 c buttermilk
1 c brewed coffee (cooled not hot)
2/3 c canola oil


In three additions, add oil mixture and flour mixture into egg mixture. Mix until just combined. Spoon into muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake 15-18 minutes (10 minutes for mini cupcakes)
Let cool in pan for 8-10 minutes and then allow cupcakes to finish cooling on wire racks.

Tip***if you do not have cake flour (I sometimes don't) you can spoon 2 T cornstarch into bottom of 1 c measure. Then spoon regular flour over top and level. This works just as well!

When they are cool frost with Buttercream Icing:

2 sticks butter (very soft)
1/3 c milk
2 t vanilla (sometimes I add even a smidge more)
6-8 cups powdered sugar

Start off with 6 cups sugar and then add more as needed until frosting is quite stiff. This should be thick thick thick! You can roll tops of cupcakes in mini chocolate chips, mini m&m's or top with sprinkles. YUM!


gotta give credit to THIS girl for that and this next one, whom I don't know, but has great recipes.:)

popcorn heaven
1 stick of butter
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2-3 t vanilla
1 cup whole almonds
1 cup pecans (optional)
1/2 cup unpopped popcorn
milk & white chocolate for melting

pop your popcorn. then, in a saucepan mix the butter, sugar, corn syrup & vanilla. cook on medium to high-ish heat until the mixture reaches 228-232 degrees F on your candy thermometer. in a BIG bowl, mix together the popcorn, candy mixture & nuts (be careful, it's hot!) then, spread it out over a greased cookie sheet to let it harden. finally, top it all off with a generous drizzling of milk & white chocolate.

doesn't that sound heavenly? I'm a sucker for sweet popcorn. I need to get my mom's caramel corn recipe! YUM.

I am making them this week! I will let you know how much I love them.

1 comment: